Microsoft Power Automate lets you connect Cascade to thousands of other platforms - Power BI, SharePoint, Trello, MS Projects, among others. Automated connections called "Flows", set up in minutes allows you to pipeline data and build workflows between apps that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Power Automate gives you instant connections between Cascade and over 1,000 supported web applications including
- Project and Task management
- CRMs and many more!
Each "Flow" has an app as the Trigger, where your information comes from, and which causes one or more Actions in other apps, where your data gets sent automatically.
These pre-requisites need to be met before we proceed with this connection:
- Microsoft 365 or Dynamics 365 license with Power Automate capabilities
- An "Enterprise" account with Cascade
- A 'measure' in Cascade workspace that needs to be integrated to Power Automate.
How to connect Cascade to Power Automate?
Log into your Power Automate account. Use a pre-made flow or create your own. Creating a flow requires no coding knowledge and you'll be walked step-by-step through the setup. Refer this help article for more information!
- Click + Create or My Flows from the left navigation pane. Each flow has three different ways to trigger them:
- Automated cloud flow: A certain action in an app acts as the trigger which causes one or more actions in other apps to take place. The trigger is where your data comes from, and your action is where your data gets sent automatically. For example, send data into Cascade every time someone submits a response in Microsoft Forms!
- Instant cloud flow: Start an automation with a click of a button. You can automate for repetitive tasks. For example, send data into Cascade anytime someone publishes a Microsoft Projects report!
- Scheduled cloud flow: Schedule an automation flow on a specific time schedule. For example, a daily data upload from a SQL database to Cascade.
- Once you choose a trigger, search for "Cascade Strategy New".Do not select "Cascade" as that needs to be used for integrating with our Classic experience of Cascade!
- Once the connection is made, depending on the action you have chosen you'll be prompted to enter information. The red asterisk means the field is mandatory. You'll select the measure, workspace, the plan in which the measure resides, and select the data from the previous steps in your flow to populate fields in the Cascade connector!
You can see all the flows that you created under My Flows in the Power Automate's dashboard page.
If you wish to connect to Power Automate from Cascade, you can do so from a Measure's Sidebar. Under the Tracking section, select Microsoft Power Automate from the drop-down list.
Continue to set up the measure and click Save. Now, a modal will pop up to redirect you to Power Automate where you’ll be able to set up a Flow to connect to that measure. See Microsoft Power Automate documentation to understand the workflows, automation, and much more.