While you can easily reorder the objectives within a plan by a simple drag and drop action (See How to Reorder within a Plan?), moving them across focus areas or plans previously required significant manual effort - You can change the strategic contribution of an objective from the Edit Objective Sidebar. Under the Contributes to section, click Edit across Parent, and choose the plan and focus area details or the objective to which the objective must be moved to!
Strategic priorities often change and evolve leading to constant realignment of work to different objectives or initiatives. It is important to adapt quickly to change by restructuring plans to reflect the shift in priorities or reorganization of work. While at it, we need to also preserve the existing alignment to enable flexible but connected plan structures!
From the Planner page, click the three dots against the relevant objective and click Move.
You can also do this from the sidebar, goal hub and focus area pages - just click the three dots next to the objective title, and click Move.
- Shared and contributing objectives cannot be moved.
- If you're moving nested objectives to a different plan, you can retain contribution to the parent objective from which it is moved.
- Once moved, if you wish to revert, then you need to follow the same steps again to move it back! You'll soon have the "undo" option!
- The audit trail of the "move" flow is available in the "Activity log" of the goal hub.
You can choose to move the objective within the same plan under a different focus area or to a different plan or move it under an objective.
Choose the relevant option and click Confirm - You'll see a success banner with a link to navigate to the target plan or objective!
Move an objective within the same or different plan:
If you wish to move an objective to a different focus area within the same plan or to a different plan, then in the Move this objective modal, click To a plan, and select the relevant plan from the list.
Once the plan is chosen, it'll list all the focus areas in that plan; choose the relevant focus area under Select focus areas, and click Confirm. You can choose more than one focus area and in that case, the objectives will be available in all the selected focus areas.
Click X against the Plan if you wish to revert and choose another option or click Cancel to cancel the move action.
Move an objective under a different objective:
If you've created an objective at a high level but now you want this to be nested under another objective, then in the Move this objective modal, click Under another objective option.
Search for the relevant objective from the list, and click Confirm. The objective will now be nested under the chosen objective!
Move a nested objective to another plan:
If you wish to move a nested objective to a top-level objective in another plan, but contributing to the same parent or original objective, then in the Move this objective modal, click To a plan.
Choose the relevant plan and focus area(s), and click Confirm. The objective will now be available as a high level objective in the chosen plan and in the original plan, it'll be available as a contributing objective under the parent objective!
If you do not wish to retain the contribution to the parent objective, then toggle the Retain contribution to option. But, it is our recommendation to retain the contribution to maintain alignment!
Who can move the goals?
Only Admins and those with "edit permissions" on the plans and goals can move them within or between plans!
How does the move flow work with privacy?
You'll not be able to select a plan, objective or project to move entities to, if you do not have edit access. This could also apply when
- you have can view access to a plan,
- or, the plan is set to can view or a team you're part of is given can view access to a plan.
The chosen view only plan, objective or project will be disabled in the dropdown and you'll see View access only on hover.
Can I move shared and contributing objectives?
No, shared and contributing objectives cannot be moved since they're references to objectives that live elsewhere.
Is it possible to move multiple goals at once (i.e., bulk move)?
This is not possible at this point in time, but we'll soon enable this in future.
How does the move flow impact health and progress?
Moving objectives, measures, projects and actions within and between plans will update the health and progress of the related entities.
- If an objective is moved to a different focus area(s), then the contribution of that objective to focus area health will be diverted to its new focus area(s).
- If an objective is moved to a different plan, then the contribution of that objective to focus area and plan health will be diverted to its new focus area(s) and plan.
- If a measure, project or action are moved to a different parent, then the contribution of that measure, project, or action to progress and health will be diverted to its new parent (objective or project).