Let's see how to delete the different types of objectives. Remember that if you delete an objective, its associated success criteria will also be deleted! And, if there're tracking defined in the success criteria, then you need to first delete those before deleting the objectives!
To recap on different objectives,
- Shared or linked objectives are those that are shared across plans and contribute to the plan's success. Here, the relationship is between different plans.
- Nested objectives are those that're added as success criteria to the parent objective and cannot be shared between other objectives and plans. Here, the relationship is between this objective and the parent objective it's nested under!
- Contributing objectives are those that are linked to a parent objective and contribute to the parent objective's success. Here, the relationship is between these two objectives of the same or different plan.
Click the three dots to delete the objective. Now, if you delete
- a nested objective that's added as a success criteria to the parent objective, you need to first delete its associated success criteria and then delete it!
- an objective that has contributing objectives, then this action will automatically unlink the contributing objectives.
- a contributing objective, you need to first remove the contributing objective from the associated objectives (click the three dots, and click Remove), and then delete it! Or, from the Relationships tab of the objective's sidebar, click Delete from the three dots.
- a shared objective, then this will just remove it from that plan (click three dots, and click Remove), and it will remain in all the other plans its part of.
- a parent objective that's shared across, then you'll either need to choose to delete it across all plans, or assign it to a new plan its part of, and delete it from here!