A Measure is a quantifiable definition of how your Objective is going to be assessed. Think of it as a metric or a KPI (key performance indicator). It is going to tell the unbiased truth regarding your Objective. For example, if your objective is "Scale digital advertising", then your measure will be "Increase digital advertising budget". Another example, if your objective is "Ensure satisfied customers and long-term customer loyalty", the measure or metric will be "Collate and calculate customer satisfaction percentage".
When your Actions are completed and your Measure has hit your Target, you know you’ve well and truly accomplished that Objective!
From the Objective sidebar, click Add measures. The Add measures sidebar opens. Or, you can add the measure inline, and then fill in the details from Edit measure Sidebar!
- Name your Measure something that specifies how you want the objective to be assessed.
- Set a Start date and End date, which will set a timeline for your measure. Remember that the dates cannot exceed the range of the parent objective!
- Add further context about the measure in Description to provide more narrative with rich text, bullets, embedded links and videos.
- From the Collaborator area, you can add or manage collaborators, who will be able to work on the measure.
- Expand the Tracking area - A Measure is tracked manually, or automatically when you integrate with Microsoft Excel, Google Sheet, etc. (See Collaborate and Automate with Integrations). When creating your Measure, you’ll put in the unit you’re tracking, the Initial and the Target values. You also have the ability to customize the tracking option for manually tracked measures, i.e., "maintain" your measure values, i.e., define your own initial or target values to determine the measure's health! See Customize Tracking for your Measuresfor more information.In case you do not find the unit you're looking for, you can input your own custom unit - just type it, and it'll get added! For Example, Sessions, Tickets, Domains, Responses, Numbers, and so on. However, if you want to add another measure that should have the same unit, you'll not see it in the list. You need to again enter the text and add it! Measures with similar customized units will be grouped together and displayed in the data sources for dashboards!
- Under Update Schedule area, set a period or day(s) to determine when you will update the progress. Depending on your choice of updating the progress on a measure, you can choose weekly, monthly, quarterly, biannually, or annually, and based on this, you can further select the day of your choice to make updates! This data is required to calculate the expected progress. To know more on this, see The Goal Hub.
- Contributes to area will show the plan and the objective your measure belongs to. You can edit this by clicking on the text - you can either move them under a different objective of the same plan, or under an objective of a different plan. Remember that it will list only those objectives that fall within the date range of the parent objective.
Create a measure from metrics:
You can also add a measure from a metric. Metrics are consolidated KPIs which are not time-bound, and can be connected with measures to track progress in Cascade. See What are Metrics? for details!
You can access the Add metric to measure page in one of the following ways:
- Hover the mouse over the metric tile, and click the (measure icon).
- Click the three dots in the metric tile, and click Create measure from metric.
- Open the metric in Sidebar view, and click the three dots. Click Add metric to measure.
- From the Measures tab in Sidebar view, click Create new measure from this metric.
Before you begin: Make sure you have the plan, focus area, and the relevant objective already created in the workspace. Also, you need to be an Admin or someone with edit permissions on the plan to create a new measure from the metric!
- Plan & focus area - Select the relevant plan and the focus area from the drop-down list.
- Objective - Select the objective to which you need to associate the new measure. Once selected, the due dates of the objective will be displayed.
- Measure - Select New measure
- Name: Give it a proper title.
- Dates: You can either select the check box to have the same due dates as the associated objective, or choose your own due dates from the date picker. Remember that, the dates must be within the date range of the parent objective!
- Owner: Assign the measure an owner from the list.
- Click Continue.
- Target - Enter the initial and target value to track the progress of a measure.
If you wish to customize the tracking option of the measure, toggle the Maintain button and choose the relevant option. Set the target limits and the critical limits to track and visualize the measure progress. See Maintain measures article for detailed information.
- Click Create measure.
The measure will be created and displayed in the Measure Sidebar view! The metrics from which it is connected is displayed, and you can click on it to view or edit the metric details!
When you save the Measure, you’ll have a manual slider bar that you can scoot around to track your progress. Every time you update that progress, you’ll get the chance to attach a comment as well. If the tracking is done by an integrated application, then, as and when the sync happens, the progress is updated. Hover the mouse over the progress bar to know the actual and expected progress.
Can I add custom fields to measures?
Yes! You can define custom fields for measures, and apply that template to the plan. But this will apply the custom fields to all the measures in that plan!
I want measures to be called as KPIs, is that possible?
Yes, you can customize the alias name the way you want. But only the users with Admin privileges have access to change that from Admin > Strategy model.
I do not find my currency type in Units!
No problem! You can simply enter the text (INR, Sessions, Tickets, Domains, and so on), and it'll prompt you to add it as an option. Just click on it, and the unit will get added.
However, if you want to add another measure that should have the same unit, you'll not see it in the list. You need to again enter the text and add it! Measures with similar customized units will be grouped together and displayed in the data sources for dashboards!
I want my measure to show achieved for any value above 80%. How do I do it?
If this is a manually tracked measure, then you can customize it by toggling the Maintain option under the Tracking area. Choose tracking option as Maintain Above 80%. For more details, see Customize Tracking for your Measures.
I want to update the measure only quarterly!
From the Update Schedule section, choose the Period as Quarterly and also select the day in which you're most likely to update progress! Depending on your choice of updating the progress on a measure, you can choose weekly, monthly, quarterly, biannually, or annually, and based on this, you can further select the day of your choice to make updates!
But if you have the measure integrated through an app, then irrespective of what you choose in the Update schedule, the progress and health will be driven by the dates in the connected source!
Where can I see the measures assigned to me?
You'll see the measures that you own and collaborate underneath the objectives they reside in the My upcoming goals of your Home page! Expand the objectives to see those measures. The My upcoming goals will only list those objectives that
- you own or collaborate,
- has measures you own or collaborate,
- has actions or projects you own or collaborate (this'll also be listed under the My upcoming work section)